Ontario provides additional protection for retirement home residents and staff

BAY OF QUINTE – Fourteen retirement homes in Bay of Quinte will split $477,309 in provincial funding for infection prevention and containment as part of a $30-million program, announced Todd Smith, MPP for Bay of Quinte today.

The investment will help the retirement home sector cover continuing COVID-19-related costs such as hiring, training and testing additional staff, and sanitizing residences and purchasing supplies to prevent and contain the spread of infection. This funding is in addition to the $30.9 million that the province provided retirement homes earlier in the pandemic.

“Seniors are relying on us to keep them safe in their homes during this pandemic.  With today’s announcement, retirement home operators can take additional precautions to ensure their safety without passing on the related costs,” said Smith. “That’s an added comfort for these residents and their families as we push to complete their vaccinations over the coming weeks.”

The specific allocations for Bay of Quinte are as follows: 

 

Arabella Retirement Living……………………………………………………………………………………………………… $49,396.04

Carriage House Retirement Residence……………………………………………………………………………………..$19,565.82

Chartwell Bayview Retirement Residence………………………………………………………………………………. $30,955.54

Eden Place Retirement Home…………………………………………………………………………………………………. $24,989.50

Fraser House Retirement Home……………………………………………………………………………………………… $18,209.90

Maple Manor Residence………………………………………………………………………………………………………….$27,972.52

MLP Residence…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………$31,769.09

Quinte Gardens Retirement Residence…………………………………………………………………………………… $79,226.27

Seasons Dufferin Centre…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..$49,396.04

The Bridge Street Retirement Residence………………………………………………………………………………….$32,040.28

The Carrington Retirement…………………………………………………………………………………………………….. $25,531.86

The Crown Ridge Retirement Residence………………………………………………………….……………………… $32,582.64

The Maples of Picton……………………………………………………………………………………………………………… $17,938.71

The Richmond Retirement Residence…………………………………………………………………………………….. $37,735.14

 

Ontario has more than 770 licensed retirement homes and many are run by small operators who urgently need the government’s support to deal with rising costs related to fighting COVID-19. Ontario’s retirement homes have been working cooperatively with public health officials across the province to ensure best practices are being followed to prevent and control COVID-19 and to help get residents and staff vaccinated.

“Retirement home operators are working tirelessly to stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep residents and staff safe,” said Raymond Cho, Minister for Seniors and Accessibility. “Our government’s additional funding will enable retirement homes to purchase more critical supplies like PPE, products to carry out deep cleaning, or to support more on-site testing to help further prevent and contain outbreaks.”

Under the leadership of General (Ret’d) Rick Hillier, Ontario’s three-phase vaccination plan is making steady progress. To date, over 56,000 residents and over 23,000 workers in retirement homes have received the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and of them over 35,000 residents and 15,000 staff have received both doses.

“Our priority since the start of the pandemic has been clear – protecting people’s health. That means ensuring retirement home operators and staff have the resources they need to keep people safe,” said Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance and President of the Treasury Board. “Making sure our seniors are protected and cared for is part of our plan to do whatever is necessary to defeat COVID-19.”

Healthy people are essential for a healthy economy. On March 24, the government will release the 2021 Ontario Budget. It will focus on protecting people’s health, with a plan to defeat COVID-19, and support for people and jobs.

QUICK FACTS

  • Ontario has more than 770 retirement homes with capacity to house more than 66,000 residents.

 

  • Visit covid-19.ontario.ca to learn more about how the province continues to protect the people of Ontario from COVID-19.

 

  • By 2023, there will be 3 million Ontarians over the age of 65 – older adults are the province’s fastest growing demographic.

Ontario keeping seniors safe and socially connected in Belleville, Prince Edward County

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MONDAY, MARCH 15, 2021

BAY OF QUINTE – In 2020-2021, Ontario is providing $92,162 to support Seniors Active Living Centre programs in two local municipalities, Todd Smith, MPP for Bay of Quinte announced today.

The Prince Edward County Community Care for Seniors Association will receive $49,462.24, while the City of Belleville’s 50-Plus Centre seniors program will receive $42,700.  The funding will focus on virtual programs such as teleconferences, virtual educational or fitness programs, and one-on-one telephone calls to help socially isolated seniors and people with disabilities. This year’s funding program has also supported the application of safety control measures against the spread of COVID-19.

“Ongoing safety precautions related to COVID-19 have created obstacles for seniors to get out in the community to socialize and that impacts the quality of life they expect and deserve,” said Smith. “Our government’s continued investment in Seniors Active Living Centres will ensure they have the flexibility to design programming that promotes activity and social connection.”

Added Raymond Cho, Ontario’s Minister for Seniors and Accessibility: “Our government’s investment in Seniors Active Living Centres will help older adults stay virtually engaged with their friends, family, and communities while combatting social isolation during the pandemic.”

Debbie MacDonald Moynes, the executive director for the Prince Edward County Community Care for Seniors Association says seniors in her community have responded well to the variety of online webinars and telephone events offered.

“During the long and dreary days of winter, there has been growing participation in what we are offering such that we now have online events at least twice a day Monday to Friday. There’s something to appeal to everyone,” said MacDonald Moynes. “We are very grateful to hear that we have received 2020-2021 funding for our active living programming.”

Belleville Mayor Mitch Panciuk also acknowledged the importance of this programming.

“The Seniors Active Living Centre’s annual operating grant that we receive allows us to run Belleville’s 50+ Centre. Understanding the importance of keeping this sector connected during these challenging times, we have continued to reach out to our residents in modified channels during COVID-19. The centre is home to over 600 members, offering a large variety of programs to older adults in our community and we are proud to provide this connection.”

The City also offers a range of in-person fitness programming at the Quinte Sports and Wellness Centre.

To learn more, those interested in the Prince Edward County programming can visit www.communitycareforseniors.org or call 613-476-7493.  Those interested in the Belleville programming can visit www.quintesportsandwellnesscentre.ca/en/facilities-and-rentals/belleville_s-50-centre.aspx or call 613-966-4632.

QUICK FACTS

  • Seniors Active Living Centre operators are community-based and promote wellness and social interaction through almost 300 programs across the province.
  • The seniors population in Ontario is the fastest growing age group. By 2023, there will be 3 million Ontarians over the age of 65.
  • Active aging brings positive health benefits, including helping to keep seniors out of the hospital.
  • The Seniors’ Centre Without Walls Micro-Grants program funded by the province through the Older Adult Centres' Association of Ontario helps seniors stay connected to their communities through telephone-based social and educational programs.
  • The Seniors’ Centre Without Walls model is a free interactive telephone-based group program for socially isolated seniors and people with disabilities who find it difficult to leave their homes.

Additional provincial funding to protect vulnerable people in Hastings and Prince Edward counties

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 10, 2021

BAY OF QUINTE – The Ontario government is providing an additional $2,046,419 through the Social Services Relief Fund (SSRF) to service providers covering Hastings and Prince Edward counties to help keep vulnerable people safe from spread of COVID-19 within emergency shelters.

Hastings County will receive $1,153,397, bringing its total SSRF support since the beginning of the pandemic to $3,459,950. Lennox and Addington County, which also provides services to Prince Edward County, will receive $893,022 to support projects in both counties. Through the pandemic, it has received $2,678,879 through the SSRF.

“It is important that we equip our shelter providers and others delivering community supports to keep everyone safe – vulnerable people and those on the front lines assisting them,” said Todd Smith, MPP for Bay of Quinte and Ontario’s Minister of Children, Community and Social Services. “Our municipal partners know their communities well and do a great job allocating money where it most effectively meets local needs.”

The new funding comes in response to an increase of COVID-19 cases within some emergency shelters in Ontario and it is intended to protect staff and residents, while also preventing more people from becoming homeless. Municipal service managers and Indigenous program partners can use the funding to acquire motel and hotel spaces to promote physical distancing, hire additional shelter staff, purchase personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies, and add to rent and utility banks.

“Our government is once again taking immediate action to save lives by responding to the rising number of COVID-19 cases in some emergency shelters across the province,” said Steve Clark, Ontario’s Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. “This investment will ensure our municipal service managers can keep vulnerable people and shelter workers safe by providing them with the financial ability to take any means necessary to stop the spread of COVID-19 in shelter spaces.”

Under the SSRF, Ontario has provided $765 million to help service managers and Indigenous program partners support shelters, create longer-term housing solutions, and help vulnerable Ontarians affected by COVID-19, including those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

QUICK FACTS

  • Ontario launched the Social Services Relief Fund in March 2020 to help protect the health and safety of the province’s most vulnerable people during COVID-19.
  • As part of the Community Housing Renewal Strategy and in response to COVID-19, Ontario is investing approximately $1.75 billion in 2020-2021 to help sustain, repair and grow community housing and help end homelessness. This includes the Social Services Relief Fund.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

  • Learn more about the Ontario Together initiative and how individuals and organizations can help fight COVID-19 by visiting covid-19.ontario.ca/how-your-organization-can-help-fight-coronavirus/
  • Visit Ontario’s website, www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.