FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2022
BAY OF QUINTE – Today, Todd Smith, MPP for Bay of Quinte, and Daryl Kramp, MPP for Hastings-Lennox and Addington announced the Ontario government will provide Quinte Health Care (QHC) an additional $4.2 million in 2022-2023, an increase of 2.5-per-cent from last fiscal year. In addition, they announced QHC will also be receiving $9,818,500 through Ontario’s Plan to Stay Open to support 48 new patient beds.
The operational funding is part of the Ontario government’s $827 million additional investment to hospitals across the province, representing a four-per-cent increase from last year. This will ensure all publicly funded hospitals receive a minimum two per cent increase to their operating budgets to help them better meet patient needs, while building a stronger, more resilient health care system.
The 48 beds are part of a capital plan expansion with more than 50 major projects that will add 3,000 new beds over 10 years and support the continuation of over 3,100 acute and post-acute beds in hospitals and alternate health care facilities, and hundreds of new adult, pediatric and neonatal critical care beds. Since the outset of the pandemic, the government has added 777 more intensive-care unit hospital beds with the capacity to now handle 2,448 critical care patients.
“With continued increases in base funding for Quinte Health Care hospitals, we’re putting our local health-care system in a stable position to offer timely, thorough care close to home,” said Smith. “With this added funding and these additional new beds, we are getting it done and eliminating hallway health care in our local communities across the region.”
Kramp added: “Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, our local hospitals – at both the staff and management levels – have gone above-and-beyond to provide exceptional care to patients and families in our region. This new investment is part of our support for high-quality and timely access to health care to ensure we have the capacity to stay open.”
Stacey Daub, QHC’s President and Chief Executive Officer, welcomed the news.
“Quinte Health Care’s four hospitals are at the bedrock of their communities, providing care close to home and working together to serve our entire region. The investment will help to support the rapid population growth we are seeing across Hastings and Prince Edward counties and it will help us to sustain the much-needed hospital beds we require to serve our community,” said Daub. “This investment is also critical to help build back our teams and services that have been so deeply impacted by the pandemic. We could not be more appreciative of our government’s investment in our important journey to recover and rebuild.”
Over the last four years, the Ontario government has made significant investments in Ontario’s hospitals as part of its plan to build a stronger, more resilient health care system that is better able to respond to crisis. This includes overall sector increases four years in a row, representing a total provincial investment of $2.5 billion since 2019.
“Ontario’s hospitals have been unwavering in their commitment to protect the health and wellbeing of Ontarians, and our government is committed to ensuring that they have the resources needed to recover from the pandemic and meet the ongoing needs of the communities they serve,” said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “By increasing investments in hospitals provincewide, our government is helping to ensure that patients have access to the high-quality care they need, when and where they need it.”
▪ To support growing demands on the health care system, Ontario’s investments over the next 10 years will lead to $40 billion in health infrastructure across the province. These investments will increase capacity in hospitals, build new health care facilities, and renew existing hospitals and community health centres.
▪ Improving Health Care in Ontario (www.ontario.ca/page/improving-health-care-ontario)
▪ Hallway Health Care: A System Under Strain (www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/premiers_council/report.aspx)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONDAY, MAY 2, 2022
BELLEVILLE – Todd Smith, MPP for Bay of Quinte, says the 2022 Ontario Budget: Ontario’s Plan to Build and Connecting the East: A draft transportation plan for Eastern Ontario, show the government is committed to future Hwy 401 widening and interchange improvements in Bay of Quinte, recognizing a key economic priority for local municipalities.
“These planned capital projects will improve traffic flow and safety through our communities and allow better access for residents, visitors and business traffic,” said Smith. “By supporting the City’s work to develop the Belleville East Arterial Route (BEAR), we are also helping open the door to growth in the North East Industrial Park, which has the potential to bring many stable, well-paying jobs to our region.”
Through Connecting the East: A draft transportation plan for Eastern Ontario, the Province is committing to a complete study (including preliminary design and environmental assessments) to plan for rehabilitation, increase safety, and identify transportation improvements along Hwy 401 in Quinte West and Belleville. The work includes promoting interchange designs to accommodate Long Combination Vehicles (LCVs, which replace two conventional tractor-trailers, reducing shipping costs and cutting fuel use and emissions. The plan also directly references working with the City of Belleville on future opportunities such as the BEAR. Another commitment of local significance is the proposed twinning of the Norris Whitney Bridge, connecting Belleville and Prince Edward County.
Building highways and key infrastructure was one of five key planks in the 2022 Budget. Through it, the government is committing $25.1 billion over the next 10 years to support the planning and/or construction of highway expansion and rehabilitation projects across the province. The Hwy 401 corridor is a key priority, as some 17,000 trucks per day pass along its route, carrying goods valued at $615 million. It is also well-used by commuters and congestion is expected to increase as population grows. The budget references necessary bridge replacement projects west of the Quinte region as well as land acquisitions that would support widening from Belleville through to Brockville.
Belleville Mayor Mitch Panciuk was pleased to see the local initiatives included.
“It’s difficult to express how very pleased we are to receive this news. This is historic! We have been lobbying for the BEAR for years and to know that it is now going to happen is definite cause for celebration,” said Panciuk. “This will create a safe access to our industrial area and, in doing so; ensure the future growth of our city. We deeply appreciate the provincial government’s recognition of this project.”
- Connecting The East is the final of four regional transportation plans – including Connecting the Southwest, Connecting the North, and the Greater Golden Horseshoe – that deliver on the government’s commitment to produce transportation plans covering all regions of the province.
- Eastern Ontario is home to 1.8 million people and covers approximately 44,000 km2, extending from the District of Muskoka in the west to the United Counties of Prescott and Russell in the east.
- Eastern Ontario has an extensive transportation network, featuring multiple 400-series highways, Class I railways, several public and private ferry services, international border crossings, an international airport, several ports, and multi-use trails.
- Connecting The East: A Draft Transportation Plan for Eastern Ontario -https://news.ontario.ca/en/backgrounder/1002075/connecting-the-east-a-draft-transportation-plan-for-eastern-ontario
- 2022 Ontario Budget: Ontario’s Plan to Build - https://budget.ontario.ca/2022/index.html
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRIDAY, APRIL 29, 2022
QUINTE WEST – The Ontario government is providing the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board $4.6 million for an addition at the Murray Centennial Public Elementary School, helping working families in Quinte West. This investment, announced today by Todd Smith, MPP for Bay of Quinte, will support the creation of 170 new student spaces as part of the Ford Government’s commitment to building state-of-the-art schools for Ontario youth.
“The new addition at Murray Centennial Public School is great news for our community,” said Smith. “This investment will provide choice and flexibility for families and new opportunities for the children of Quinte West.”
Diane Lloyd, the Chairperson for Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board, welcomed the Province’s investment in the project.
“We want schools to be at the heart of the communities they serve, from preschool to graduation. We extend our sincere thanks to the provincial government for this capital investment that makes it possible to better house our students here at Murray Centennial Public School,” said Lloyd. “The school has been experiencing enrolment pressures for a number of years, and the funding for this new addition is much needed to address these challenges. We are very excited for the opportunity to enhance this school, which we know will benefit our students and families in the Murray Centennial school community for many years to come.”
The project is part of a province-wide investment of nearly $500 million to support new school and child-care spaces were recently announced by Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education. The overall investment will support the creation of 37 school related projects, which include 23 child-care centres. This funding will add nearly 15,700 new student spaces and 1,502 licensed child-care spaces at schools across Ontario.
“We are building new schools, building more affordable child care spaces, and building hope and opportunity for Ontario students as they learn in more normal and safer classrooms,” said Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education. “We believe that students deserve to learn in-person in state-of-the-art facilities that are internet connected, accessible, with modern ventilation systems, which is why our government is delivering a major investment that accelerates construction to get it done for parents, students, and communities.”
The investment is also part of the Ontario government’s commitment to provide $14 billion to support school construction over 10 years. Since 2018, the government has approved nearly 200 projects and there are currently more than 300 child-care and education building-related projects in development, with more than 100 actively under construction.
“Under Premier Ford’s leadership, our government is delivering more schools across the province to support the needs of Ontario’s students, families and growing communities. By cutting red tape and introducing the Rapid Build pilot project to expedite procurement and construction processes to build better schools faster, we’re ensuring that students reap the benefits of state-of-the-art learning facilities sooner and have access to education in a safe and healthy environment.” said Kinga Surma, Minister of Infrastructure. “These investments are just one of the ways we’re building critical infrastructure – such as schools, hospitals, long-term care homes and public transit – that Ontarians rely on with a budget over $148 billion over the next decade.”
Murray Centennial Public School is located at 654 County Road 40 in Trenton.
- For 2022-23, the province is also providing school boards with $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
- The governments of Canada and Ontario are providing $5 million in funding for critical infrastructure projects to protect students and staff from COVID-19 in the province's schools through the COVID-19 Resilience stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.